Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Today, I learned to use a semicolon...

... and was taught by a Kenyan.

The students at Our Lady of Grace School are incredible. They know so much English, which after trying to teach I can now fully comprehend how difficult it is to learn! Form II students (sophomores in high school) were dissecting poems in English today. That's what I did my sophomore year of high school.. with far more trouble than they did!

Mrs. Ryan, I was brought back to your class today in my mind while I was trying to explain indirect and direct objects. Thank you for all the hard work you did to try and catch me up on grammar so that I could try to teach it here!

I learned so much today that it's a bit overwhelming. Sr. Mary Brenda is incredible- she is here helping to direct the school, and she has so many ideas and dreams for this place. PC: GET READY. Patricia and I are coming back with a fundraising vengeance! There is so much that the school needs, and small donations from you can do SO much here. Get ready for our fundraising campaign: From Grass to Grace, It's Time for Africa.

Speaking of "It's Time for Africa," who has been watching the world cup!? It's ALL over here.. actually the only thing here. It's all anyone talks about, even though Kenya's team didn't qualify. Shakira's song "Waka Waka," which is the anthem of the world cup, is constantly on the radio. As is a TON of American music! B.o.B. has even hit here... but they LOVE Shakira! Who would have thought.

Still have a lot to process from this day, and I'll try and post again a little later tonight specifics about the school. Keep the comments and emails coming, it's honestly helping so much! Thank you for all the love and support.
Penda,
Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment