Sunday, June 13, 2010

Trust

Throughout my whole journey, I have been thinking about trust. I had a lot of time to think while I was on that mountain, and I realized that trust is the big thing that every little thing I've done has in common. I thought about how much trust I've had in the pilots to get me here, in the guides on the mountain, in Patricia, and in the Dominicans. I've been flat-out amazed by the trust that the Kenyan people have in God.

I've seen a lot of Kenya since I've been here, and most of what I've driven through has been difficult to see. I thought I knew what poverty was, but poverty in the US and poverty in Kenya are completely different animals. The slums we've driven through are devastating- tiny little huts made of mud and sticks that house giant families. I got to meet a lot of families at mass this morning, and they were the kindest, most joyful and welcoming people I have ever met. They're all happy to meet Patricia and I, and I'm amazed by them. There is no other way to describe it.

We arrived in Kisumu last night, dirty and disheveled from four shower-less days on the mountain. Fr. Charles came to pick us up at the airport, bearing a sign that said Providence and a big picture of Fr. Shanley, which of course made us feel welcome. He drove us to the Dominican compound, about 40 minutes away from the airport (and right down the road from the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur!), and we then met Fr. Bert and Fr. Kevin. We had some dinner and settled into our rooms. There is a guard dog mom with three puppies who likes to sleep on the porch of the little house we're in, and she didn't really like us being there, so we stayed in our rooms the whole night.

This morning we got up and took showers, which was an experience in and of itself. The shower is currently only cold water, though it's working on getting fixed, and it's just really a few little drips from the showerhead. We were so dirty from the mountain that it was great anyway, and after we brainstormed I think we worked out a good system to use. After the showers, we went to mass.

It reminded me of mass in New Orleans- I was one of few white people there, and everyone was warm, welcoming, and joyful. They had amazing music that they knew by heart and harmonized to, and there was a lot of clapping and swaying, almost like a concert. Fr. Bert said mass and gave a great homily, and afterward Fr. Kevin gave us a tour of the Dominican compound here.

It's very big and absolutely beautiful! It's not too hot, and there is a nice breeze. There are a few little huts outside with tables in the middle (almost like gazebos) that are so nice to sit in. We went and saw the Sisters' compound, and we expect to go over to Our Lady of Grace School a little bit later today.

Our wireless is up and running, and it's nice to be back in contact with the US. We don't have a phone yet, but I'm available by email and by commenting on the blog- I'd love to hear from you!

That's all for now... I'll try and post some photos tonight.

Penda,
Julia

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear you are doing well, Julia! That sounded like a pretty epic hike. My favorite part so far is, I think, Fr. Shanley's picture on your welcome sign. You knew you had the right person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am always amazed by your insights and your heart which is always wide open....the title and theme of this post make me think of day 3 of something that was occurring simultaneously ;) love you sooooo much, ps i dont get what system you and patricia worked out about the shower? ahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha kaitlin... the system was quite complicated... when to turn the water on and off, how to keep relatively warm in a cold shower, that kind of stuff. hopefully we're moving soon to another little house on the compound with an indoor shower with hot water :)

    ReplyDelete